Living with Bears
Bears are attracted to anything smelly or edible, especially garbage. Bears are also attracted to beehives, orchards and gardens. Follow these guidelines to help keep your home "bearproof":
- Deodorize garbage can with bleach or ammonia.
- Double-bag garbage to help eliminate odors.
- Separate "wet garbage" and keep it in an air and odor tight container. Use a garbage disposal whenever possible. Freeze meat bones or other smelly items until pick-up day.
- Be sure to keep barbecue grills clean.
- Pick up fallen tree fruit, and put away pet food and bird feeders at night.
- Close windows at night on accessible ground floors and decks.
- Don't leave food in or near a windowsill or on a counter near an open window.
- Securely block access to potential hibernation sites, such as crawl spaces under decks or buildings.
For a more in depth guide to Living with Bears from the California Department of Fish & Game click here.
Burrtec also offers wild life resistant trash receptacles. For more information please call (626) 932-1558.